Friday, May 11, 2012

Independent Component 2

The independent component is an opportunity for you top select a direction and create your own component.  Each component must demonstrate 30 hours of work.  On the due dates, please turn in the following
·     LIA
Literal
(a) I, SarahTaylor, affirm that I completed my independent component which represents 30 hours of work.
(b) I compiled a blog/set of binders and folders of resources I have to give to Tesa Melendez, the junior I'm handing over iPoly's non-existent Gay-Straight Alliance to. A lot of my time was spent talking to other people, gathering examples of information they wish they had, as well as helping GSA Network revise curriculum, with the hopes of getting Tesa (and possibly Angel Diaz?) involved with the organization and leave them in a little less darkness than I was thrown into. 
Interpretive
All of it was significant... But I wouldn't have been able to compile the resources I was able to get (both on the blog and in the folders/binder) without the help of GSA Network Youth Trainers, Cal Poly's Pride Center and the GLSEN Student Ambassadors I worked with to revise/gain more curriculum. 
Applied
The biggest parts of my component were the times spent with other people (Skyping with GLSEN Student Ambassadors, Conference Calls with GSA Network, Cal Poly's Safe Zone Ally Training). I think these are significant because part of Coming Out Trans* (My first and best answer) is having a community behind you to help you with the coming out process and I feel like my contributions to these groups are helping to make safer spaces for LGBT Youth.

0 comments:

Post a Comment