Friday, May 25, 2012

Senior Project Reflection

(1) Positive Statement

What are you most proud of in your 2-Hour Presentation and/or your senior project? Why?
I'm definitely most proud of the fact that I was able to slow down my speaking throughout the presentation. I'm really proud of my activities and how well everyone seems to have understood me, but I'm most proud of the fact that I was able to slow my speech. It was a little rocky when I started, Edwards told me that I was speaking way too fast, but I was able to slow down and really just communicate with the class. If I had continued speaking as fast as I did through my Intro/Foundation, I wouldn't have made time and I'm sure of that. 

(2) Questions to Consider

a.     What assessment would you give yourself on your 2-Hour Presentation (self-assessment)? Why?

AE            P            AP            CR            NC
I would give myself an AE - which is something I don't say lightly. My topic is a hard one to grasp, especially for people that don't necessarily have experience with the LGBT community. But I was able to break down my answers, make my project somewhat relatable, and get the 28+ people in the room with me to engage in my project for that two hour block. My activities were exciting, my room was decorated creatively, I had a poster of my Essential Question and my Keynote was beautiful.

b.     What assessment would you give yourself on your overall senior project (self-assessment)? Why?

AE             P            AP            CR            NC

Despite the fact that it was a rocky road, my project isn't something that I could've taken an alumni's project and duplicate - which I feel a lot of the senior projects were. While there's no need to reinvent the wheel, I came up with a project that no one had done before and I struggled through it. My science fair project was exhausting and almost made a lot of girls uncomfortable. All of the parts of my project, while they weren't flawless in any way, shape or form, were done for the first time. And I think that that fact made my project harder than a lot of other seniors'. So, yes, I feel I deserve a P. I didn't give up and switch to a project that I could just do what another senior had done in the past. I stuck it out, making my project ten times harder than a lot of seniors and I think that deserves to be recognized. Also, my 2-hour kind of really rocked. Just saying. 

(3) What worked for you in your senior project?

Service learning at Cal Poly's Pride Center. I learned a lot from my service learning, even if it was from different pieces of research. My service learning was easily accessible and totally flexible. Definitely worked.

(4) What didn't work for you in your senior project?

I wish Research Checks could've been 100% digital - or I at least wish they had the option to be. If I was able to set up a public Dropbox folder for my research, Counts would not have been as big of a pain. 

(5) Finding Value

To be honest, my topic will probably not be helpful to future endeavors. But, I can honestly say that I've written a ten page paper in which I was able to use the word "boobs" and it was completely appropriate. I can also say that I gave a two hour presentation - again, I was able to use the word "boobs" in a completely appropriate manner. And I've also had a taste of what working at the Pride Center feels like and I've put myself in the running for a job there, come next winter. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment