Friday, March 9, 2012

Blog 18: The Product

Question: As of March, what is your product and why? Please provide evidence to support what you have done to lead you thinking this is your product. Be specific and use examples from your senior project (refer to what you are doing, for example, in my service learning, naming the where you work and who you work with, I have been..).

The biggest product of my senior project so far is knowing what a Safe Space is and how to keep a space safe for everyone in it. This came from my service learning at Cal Poly's Pride Center and a brief interview with Adriana di Bartolo of the Claremont College's Queer Resource Center. 

  • Working at the Pride Center, I've been able to note what kinds of things make a space safe. A lot of my work over there is really just talking to the students who come through; if I'm not talking to them, I'm listening to the things that they're talking about and the language is different. In Safe Spaces, you hear groups of people being referred to as "you all" "all of you" or "y'all", as opposed to "you guys" and one of the Social Justice Leaders, Ellie, told me that that was because saying "you all" makes the whole room feel included, rather than people who identify as male - you're not singling people out. 
  • A Safe Space also has tons of resources. The Pride Center (as well as the Queer Resource Center) has handouts from HRC, GLSEN, and pamphlets on just about anything you can imagine - coming out, living as an intersex person, trans* problems, etc. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment