Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Blog 7: Independent Component One Plan Approval

1) For my first independent component, I'm working with the GSA Network of Southern California as a Youth Trainer, teaching curriculum (that I helped write/structure) about gender - the gender spectrum as opposed to the gender binary, key aspects of different non-binary gender identities, ways to help GSAs be a resource for their gender non-conforming students, etc. As well as being able to teach these kids, I can also talk to them about what kinds of things they're going through in terms of discovering how they identify and how they express that. So far, I'm signed up for six trainings through the end of the year, but more are being scheduled. 

2) I plan on meeting 30 hours of work through the trainings themselves, along with reviewing and teaching the curriculum to the other trainers. Already, we've had two trainings - five hours each - and each training day is between six and eight hours. To document this, I'll keep a written log for each training/prep day. 

3) This study relates to my EQ because one of my answers could be that learning about the different types of gender identities and what they look like to other people is a huge part in being able to identify/express your own identity. Unfortunately, the majority of society is a very cis-gender centric society; it isn't until being introduced to a new identity that a person can start to wonder how they identify themselves. Much like sexual orientation, gender identity is something that is different from person to person, both in the way they feel about themselves and how they decide to express it. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment